Friday, September 5, 2008

'Terminator' returns with an action-packed hourlong premiere

I am going to be straightforward here. I haven't watched an episode of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" until this afternoon when I popped in the screener for Monday night's premiere. While I was lost for most of the hour, I did understand the appeal of the show. The cast is fantastic (Summer Glau as a kick-ass Terminator), the action sequences are entertaining and the storyline is enticing.

The premiere is no different. Even though I didn't quite understand much of what had happened in its inaugural season, I was invested enough in the characters and their backstories to keep watching until the end. Thomas Dekker (previously of "Heroes") is gripping as the young John Connor (it's especially exciting knowing that his character will grow up to be Christian Bale in the upcoming "Terminator: Salvation") and Lena Headey is perfection as his mother, Sarah Connor. Would I want to get on her bad side? I wouldn't even dream of it. Summer Glau can do no wrong as a mysteriously powerful Terminator (this role suits her perfectly) and even the supporting characters add some depth to the overall story (Garret Dillahunt and Garbage's Shirley Manson equal gripping television).



I was lucky enough to attend the Comic-Con panel and in the third row, and learned a great deal about the upcoming season. I must admit I wasn't exactly there for the show ("The Office" writers' panel was right after), but they certainly got my curiosity after the panel was over. Of course, like any new show, they are with its flaws and "Terminator" is no different, but I have faith that they'll get the ball rolling.

No comments: